Thursday, September 15, 2011
The Empire Club of Canada Presents:
Chris O’Neill, Managing Director, Google Canada With Innovation @ Google
About a year ago, Chris returned home to Canada with over 15 years of experience in marketing, strategy, media and partnership development. Most recently he served as director of Retail for Google’s U.S. operations.
Google is the first company since Xerox to have its name become almost as well known as a verb as it is a brand. If you don’t believe it, you can just Google it.
At the 2010 Canadian Internet Registration Authority’s annual general meeting, Chris outlined these other facts for that audience:
• There are four billion photos on Flickr.
• Five billion apps have been downloaded from the Apple app store and 10 billion songs from iTunes.
• Google’s index contains one trillion URLs; that’s trillion, as in the U.S. deficit.
• every minute, 25 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube.
• one of every six minutes online in Canada is spent using social media.
• half of all Internet connections are mobile.
• There are more mobile phones around the world than clean toilets.
That was a year ago. One can only imagine what those numbers are today.
Chris O’Neill, Managing Director, Google Canada
*The content presented is free of charge but please note that the Empire Club of Canada retains copyright. Neither the speeches themselves nor any part of their content may be used for any purpose other than personal interest or research without the explicit permission of the Empire Club of Canada.*
*Views and Opinions Expressed Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed by the speakers or panelists are those of the speakers or panelists and do not necessarily reflect or represent the official views and opinions, policy or position held by The Empire Club of Canada.*