Tuesday, February 7, 2023
The Empire Club of Canada Presents:
Your Health: Helping You Connect to More Convenient Care Closer to Home
Deputy Premier and Minister of Health Sylvia Jones to provide a keynote address discussing the current state of Ontario’s health care system and how the Ontario government is putting you, the patient, back at the centre of health care. Ontario is preparing for the future by putting aside the ideas of the past and by being bold, innovative and creative. It is time to put you back in charge of your health.
*The content presented is free of charge but please note that the Empire Club of Canada retains copyright. Neither the speeches themselves nor any part of their content may be used for any purpose other than personal interest or research without the explicit permission of the Empire Club of Canada.*
*Views and Opinions Expressed Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed by the speakers or panelists are those of the speakers or panelists and do not necessarily reflect or represent the official views and opinions, policy or position held by The Empire Club of Canada.*
Sylvia Jones serves as the Member of Provincial Parliament for Dufferin-Caledon.
She is currently Ontario’s Deputy Premier and Minister of Health, where her focus is building a stronger health care system for all Ontarians.
Minister Jones has worked with health care partners from across Ontario to:
• Introduce A Plan to Stay Open, Ontario’s five-point plan to strengthen the health care workforce and stabilize the health system by providing faster access to care and more options for care in the community
• Make it easier and faster for health care workers trained in Ontario, other provinces, and internationally to register and practise in Ontario
• Expand pharmacist scope of practice to prescribe and treat 13 common ailments, such as rashes, pink eye, and sprains
• Fund annual operating for 27 new MRI machines in hospitals across Ontario, to reduce wait times and increase access
• Advance 50 hospital redevelopment projects that will create more than 3,000 new hospital beds within the next 10 years
Minister Jones previously served as Solicitor General from 2019-2022, where she championed public safety initiatives, including leading the country with a $307 million anti-human trafficking strategy and legislation, and passing Canada’s toughest animal protection legislation.
Minister Jones has lived in Dufferin-Caledon for over 30 years with her husband, David.
Kulvir Singh Gill works as a management consultant leading innovation, sustainability, and strategy projects around the world for Fortune 500 clients in sectors as diverse as mining, oil and gas, banking and retail. He also currently co-leads The Nourish Movement, which brings together global leaders to sustainably empower human health through food. In an advisory role, Mr. Gill serves on the board of directors for Canada Nickel Company and Summit Nanotech.
Mr. Gill is also passionate about community service. In addition to the Empire Club of Canada, he also serves on the boards of Board Member of William Osler Health System and the Sikh Research Institute. He is also the co-founder of the Seva Food Bank in Mississauga. Mr. Gill is a recipient of the Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal and a 2010 Action Canada Fellow. He holds a B.Sc. and a B. Comm. from the University of Calgary and the ICD.D designation from the Institute of Corporate Directors. Mr. Gill lives with his family in Brampton, Ontario.